Tuesday, November 17, 2009

we're clearly soldiers in petticoats.

I scored major points in the ‘hood this afternoon when C2 heard I had a dream that he defeated the Crystal King from the deck of the Death Star. I let him in on all the details, a swirl of the latest afternoons swished together into what my subconscious randomly spit out last night. And to be honest, later I felt quite validated as I overheard my eight year old buddy excitedly describing his “babysitter’s dream” as he picked up the 168-piece Lego creation from which my dream originally drew inspiration.

C2’s bedroom is something of a Lego universe. The little men are arranged shoulder to shoulder in precise rows and are put away in their home after a hard day’s work (see also: battling Droids, cave crushing). The adventures the little men go through, however, are absolutely captivating. I mean, if their little plastic heads could talk….

It starts off very simply. C2 sits, tearing apart and building back and grabbing and contemplating and – it’s finished. He gently crams a tiny miner into a Cave Crusher, locking in the front blades and answering all of my questions about the function of each individual piece. If the vehicle passes inspection (and it never does; tiny miner has a HUGE head), C2 flips it around to face the rock monsters under the bed.

I adore his imagination. I love that he will take 168 chunks of meaningless plastic and form something new for a purpose I’ve never heard of. It creates this set up for worship for a scale much larger than 6-inches.

“God,
Creator of the heavens—
he is, remember, God.
Maker of earth—
he put it on its foundations, built it from scratch.
He didn't go to all that trouble
to just leave it empty, nothing in it.
He made it to be lived in.
This God says:

"I am God,
the one and only.
I don't just talk to myself or mumble under my breath.
I never told Jacob,
'Seek me in emptiness, in dark nothingness.
'I am God. I work out in the open,
saying what's right, setting things right." (Isaiah 45)

Now to take one last verse completely out of it’s context, “Since then we are God's offspring, we ought not to suppose that Deity (the Godhead) is like gold or silver or stone, [of the nature of] a representation by human art and imagination, or anything constructed or invented.” (Acts 17:29)

He's way greater than the Lego creations, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment